Welcome to Twins Chat!

Twins Chat is our international bulletin board dedicated to the support, education, enrichment and well-being of twins, multiples and parents of multiples worldwide.

To add your message to any forum, you must first register. Click on the word "register" below. You will be asked to choose a user name and password for yourself. If you have already registered, click directly on 'Login' and enter your username/password. If you have forgotten this information, click on 'Login' and then on the 'Forgotten Your Password' link. Your information will be emailed to your email address.

You will not have to give any personal information. Use your real email address if you wish to receive responses via email. If you have any questions or suggestions, please send a message to Debbie & Lisa. Thanks!

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Parents of Multiples Chat Board   » SPECIAL TOPICS   » Parents of Newborns and Toddlers   » Will I need help?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will I need help?
TwinsInNYC
Member # 1087

posted May 04, 2004 09:51 PM      Profile for TwinsInNYC        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Recently found out we are pregnant with twins!!! We're super excited. They will be our first children, however, and we're not quite sure what to expect. I will be home with the babies (from ages 0-7 months), but we're wondering if I will be able to handle it alone. Would people recommend having my Mother-In-Law relocate to where we are living to help out as she is offering to do?
Posts: 1 | From: New York | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
MillerFam
Member # 1065

Rate Member

posted May 06, 2004 06:31 PM      Profile for MillerFam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If someone who is capable and available, is offering to help - take them up on it! I have 11 month old twins and a soon to be 4 year old - and still wish I had more help. When they are both crying, it is always great to have a second pair of hands! Just make sure she is someone who is willing to help out, take charge when you need her to, and be flexible with your schedule. Sometimes people offer to help, but unless they are a take charge person, I felt it really hard to constantly tell someone what to do. It is really important to have someone there at least the first couple of weeks if your husband will be at work.
Posts: 11 | From: Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
K&K'sMommy
Member # 1093

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2004 05:19 PM      Profile for K&K'sMommy   Email K&K'sMommy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congrats!!! on the anticipated arrival. I have 7wk old twins Kaleb and Kendal. Yes, you will most definatly need help. I see you are married so that will be much more easier since both parents are in the home verses a single parent of twins. My husband and I have been married for 5yrs this July. We were very worried if we were going to need more help w/ the boys. AS it turned out we manage very well on our own. We do everything in shifts. If one of you are working full time and one parent will stay home w/ babies you may need the extra help from the in-laws so you can get some rest. Most likely the working parent will need to get a somewhat good night sleep for work the next day, so in turn the stay at home parent will basicaly be workin 24/7. My mom took a week off from work to help us the first week they both were home and she didn't do anything but stare at them!! I had to tell her everything to do which erked my badly!! So make sure your help knows they need to be a "Doer" and they don't have to wait to be told what to do.
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
K&K'sMommy
Member # 1093

Rate Member

posted May 13, 2004 05:30 PM      Profile for K&K'sMommy   Email K&K'sMommy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One more thing if your in-law doesn't come and your home alone make sure you have them on the same schedule. After they have both eaten and changed and off to sleep that's when you sleep! Most likely your twins will be pre-term and if they have to stay in the NICU for a week or two GET SOME REST MOM... my babies spent 2 1/2wks in NICU I visited them but I let my husband do the biggest of it. I pumped breastmilk and he took it to them everyday.
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
L&TsMommy
Member # 1101

Rate Member

posted May 17, 2004 09:30 PM      Profile for L&TsMommy   Email L&TsMommy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I lived in NYC with my twin boys (now 2 yo) for 15 months and did it by myself. I know there are a lot of moms in Manhattan who will tell you otherwise, but it is completely possible to do it yourself. I spent a lot of time on the floor, holding one in my arms and the other in my legs, and finding various creative ways of dealing with situations. I firmly believe you can do it. If you want to talk more about this or any NYC-specific issues, email me at megan@twinstuff.com.
CASSANDRA
Member # 1103

Rate Member

posted May 19, 2004 02:57 AM      Profile for CASSANDRA   Author's Homepage   Email CASSANDRA   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi i am casandra and i just had twins who is only 3 weeks old a boy and a girl who names is kamyla and kavarus lynch and i tell you so far its not so hard but i tell you one think i have not had a good night sleep since they were born i dont have much help with them but i dont work so i enjoy it everyday cause i was blessed with them and if it takes all my time i have nothing but time to offer.cause it is alot of work i also have a 3 year old which i didt have to work this hard with.

--------------------

cassandra lynch

Posts: 1 | From: lima ohio | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mother of Three Girls
Member # 1113

Rate Member

posted June 01, 2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Mother of Three Girls   Email Mother of Three Girls   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First of all-Congratulations! You are going to be busy but in different stages. If I were you, I would take any help but as the others stated, make sure you have help that is not too timid to step in and take charge of a baby if you are busy with the other one. I was very fortunate that my mother came and stayed with me for a week when I first came home. That was very nice for me because she let me sleep a little more in between nursings and diapering. Any little bit of help is wonderful.You will be able to do it even on the days when you think you can't! Also, if you have older sibling(s),I have an older daughter(at the time the twins were born she was 2 1/2 years old), they love to help out. Let them do the simple things which make them feel very special-getting the bottles,grabbing a diaper, or the wipes...She still is my "special helper"! She loves to help my husband and me out. We term her the "little mommy"! Best wishes and best of luck.
crazylady
Member # 939

posted June 02, 2004 07:40 PM      Profile for crazylady   Author's Homepage   Email crazylady   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congrats,I have twin girls that are now 14 and they are more of a handful now than when they were babies.If somebody is offering to help you take them up on it.If you want to keep expense low as possible buy alot of cloth diapers and only use the others when going away.I went through four bags of disposables a week very expensive just in the first week home.

--------------------

Kim

Jocaud
Member # 1154

Rate Member

posted June 21, 2004 07:42 PM      Profile for Jocaud     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congrats!

My twins are now 2 years old and my husband and I had his mother move in with us for three months. She was a tremendous help, especially with the night feedings: burping and changing diapers, etc. (I nursed until my girls were 5 1/2 months old). If you can get help, I would suggest it. The beginning is very trying and it goes by so fast. I would encourage you to spend as much quality time with your newborns as possible and leave the cooking and cleaning to someone else who is willing to help out.

Good Luck!

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | My Homepage | Privacy Statement

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3