Welcome to Twins Chat!

Twins Chat is our international bulletin board dedicated to the support, education, enrichment and well-being of twins, multiples and parents of multiples worldwide.

To add your message to any forum, you must first register. Click on the word "register" below. You will be asked to choose a user name and password for yourself. If you have already registered, click directly on 'Login' and enter your username/password. If you have forgotten this information, click on 'Login' and then on the 'Forgotten Your Password' link. Your information will be emailed to your email address.

You will not have to give any personal information. Use your real email address if you wish to receive responses via email. If you have any questions or suggestions, please send a message to Debbie & Lisa. Thanks!

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Twin Bulletin Board   » 3   » Twin Getting Married   » Stereotyped Twin?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stereotyped Twin?
Jentastic83
Member # 2075

Member Rated:

posted 11-25-2002 08:48 PM      Profile for Jentastic83   Email Jentastic83   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone
Is anyone else sick to death of being treated like a stereotypical set of twins? Our parents act like we should have the same friends, do everything together, room together in college (which we are doing right now). Other people on campus call us "The Twins," and assume that we think alike, and always have the same opinion, which is way off base! My twin and I are COMPLETELY different, so it really bugs me when people say they "can't tell us apart," (even though my hair is long, and my twin's is short), and other crap that they make up about us. Please reply!
Jentastic

Posts: 2 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mgs269
Member # 2280

Rate Member

posted 05-30-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for mgs269   Email mgs269   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
omg yes i knnow exactly what ur talking about and it annoys us sooooo much to the point where we just want to say ugh duh where twins i mena if we look alike then we must be. every single day we are asked, and theres not one minute where there isnt someone asking if were twins. sometimes i just wish i wasnt a twin so i can be looked as not "the twins" and just as myself. poeple are stupid sometimes. and no one can understand how it is to be a twin unless ur a twin.
meg

Ashelyn's Twin
Member # 2294

Rate Member

posted 06-09-2003 11:23 AM      Profile for Ashelyn's Twin   Author's Homepage   Email Ashelyn's Twin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We get the same thing. Actually, we have had people arguing with us over us being twins. Complete strangers. This one lady told us we couldn't be twins because we didn't have 'twin names'? What exactly is a twin name?

--------------------

I'm Kaitlyn- MZ Twin to Ashelyn, Sister to Zane (age 9), Taylor (age 7), Ava (age 4), and Mallory (age 2)

Posts: 5 | From: Orange County, California | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Haleth
Member # 2428

Rate Member

posted 09-26-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Haleth   Email Haleth   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yeah, we used to get that. Now we've moved to a new school where there are a pair of identical twin boys. Amelie and I are identical, but our hair is different and we're both kind of shy, so nobody really talks much to us. The other pair of twins get all the "are you really twins?" attention, which is a nice relief, although sometimes I do wish I made friends more easily.

The other day a group of kids, all older than me, were talking about what it was like to be twins. I was right in their midst, and they didn't seem to notice I was there. They were awfully ignorant and making fun of twins who say the same thing at the same time, talking about how "stupid" twins were. It was so upsetting. I felt this hot feeling of anger and scaredness shoot through me. I opened my mouth to speak up, but I couldn't. I turned and ran away. I ran so far I got an asthma attack and started crying. I couldn't understand it. I felt so stupid.

--------------------

"...their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought to the regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
-JRR Tolkien

CnAFlynntwins13
Member # 2183

Rate Member

posted 10-08-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for CnAFlynntwins13   Email CnAFlynntwins13   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Being a twin is hard! We have to deal constantly with curious stares and answer endless questions. Sometimes you just want to shout yes im a twin so stop looking at me like i have two heads. It doesn't help that were both almost six foot. Don't ask us what its like to be a twin? Cuz we don't know what its like not to be a twin.. we should be asking the questions. Any way just wanted to complain a little. haha
nobulljj
Member # 2445

posted 10-10-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for nobulljj        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are all taking the attention you get for granted. If you really hate it so much then move away from each other. Then you will miss how great it was to have people recognize your special bond. You will be lonely and feel isolated because no one cares about you and now they don't even know you are a twin. Appreciate it while you've got it. When it's gone you'll be miserable.
raynbabe07
Member # 2493

Rate Member

posted 11-16-2003 07:28 AM      Profile for raynbabe07   Email raynbabe07   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
omg, it's so nice hearing that there are other twins out there that feel the same way as me!
My sister and I have always hung out together and had the same friends, and I've always hated how no one could tell us apart and instead of saying our names they would just say "the twins" ! I would get soo mad and be like hey, I'm Rayna, not "one of the twins" Every day someone would ask if I was a twin, and come up and try to guess which one I was. It drove me crazy! We just started college this year, and OMG, I absolutely love it! She goes to a different school than me, and it is so awesome to finally have my own identity! No one even knows her, so its great to have people talk to me about stuff other than what it's like to be a twin and all those other stupid twin questions.. you guys know what I'm talking about. We still talk every day, and being so far apart has brought us closer together. I used to wish that I wasn't a twin, because of all the attention we got and how annoying it was to have no one know which one I was, but now I've realized how unique it is to have someone to always be there for me, who I can tell anything. I'm so glad we're twins, and I wouldn' t give that up for anything! I think going to different colleges has been the best thing thats ever happened to me! I can't wait to see her again during break!

Posts: 1 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twin1of2FL82
Member # 2545

Rate Member

posted 01-09-2004 09:45 PM      Profile for Twin1of2FL82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have always dealt with the "twin" questions that my brother and I get very well. It is a blessing to have someone that close to you, especially when you can communicate without speaking. I do agree, however, that a lot of people are ignorant and ask blatantly obvious questions. Which does nothing but shine a spotlight on their stupidity. That set aside, twins are special! They'll always be there for one another.
Posts: 3 | From: Clearwater Beach, FL | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
JohnB
Member # 2559

Rate Member

posted 01-19-2004 02:25 AM      Profile for JohnB   Email JohnB   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hated the stupid twin questions, but I hated even more the people who I considered "twin stalkers." A typical twin stalker would break his/her neck to hang out with me, my brother, or both of us when we were hanging out, and obsess and obsess about twindom. I would absolutely hate someone after a week or two if the endless questions, comparisons, and contrasts continued.
Posts: 1 | From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Twinsworld

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3